Myanmar's need for aid after 7.7 magnitude quake
2 April 2025
In the early afternoon of March 28 (local time), a 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit near the Myanmar city of Mandalay.
More than 2700 people have been confirmed dead, with the death toll expected to rise.
The scale of the destruction can be seen in satellite imagery showing the city and surrounding landscape of the affected area: buildings, roads, bridges, and temples have all been devastated. The capital city of Naypyidaw, 245 kilometres from Mandalay, was also hit hard by the quake.
In the following days, rescuers have been making concerted efforts to dig through rubble and search for survivors, but the situation in Myanmar has made that a challenge.
The country has been under military rule since the February 1 coup in 2021. Since then, the ruling armed forces have clashed with anti-junta fighters and ethnic rebel groups – but it’s the civilians who suffer from the fallout.
Since the coup, demand for aid in general has skyrocketed.
Earlier this year, in a joint statement, New Zealand and other allies called in part for “unhindered and safe humanitarian access across the country”, as humanitarian needs have increased twenty-fold since 2021. As of the start of 2025, one-third of Myanmar’s population – just under 20 million people – are in need of humanitarian assistance to meet their basic needs, while an estimated 15.2 million people need food assistance.
In the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, Myanmar’s need for aid is even more dire. Many aid agencies have warned that the country will be unable to deal with the unfolding emergency response following the 7.7 quake.
A shortage of medical supplies is one of the most urgent needs to be addressed. Following the earthquake, OCHA, the United Nation’s body responsible for responding to complex emergencies and natural disasters, said existing hospitals and health facilities had been severely damaged and "[a] severe shortage of medical supplies is hampering response efforts”.
Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation is "responding at its highest level of emergency activation" and has put out an urgent call for donations.
Compounding that, while US President Donald Trump has pledged $2million to help with earthquake recovery efforts, there are doubts over the effectiveness of US help, given recent cuts to USAID.
The earthquake’s devastation has been so widespread that in a rare move, Myanmar’s military leader General Min Aung Hlaing has put out a call for international help. In the past, it has not been uncommon for the military leadership to block foreign aid, even in the case of natural disasters.
Some assistance has arrived in Myanmar from international aid agencies, as well as from countries such as Russia, China, India, Malaysia, and Thailand. However, rescue efforts are severely hampered by infrastructural damage, as roads and bridges are down.
In an update, the World Health Organisation said more than 10,000 buildings have been damaged or collapsed.
Banner image: Indian Air Force's C-130 carrying supplies and transporting a search & rescue team and a medical team for Myanmar relief efforts. Image: Wikimedia Commons
This page was originally published on March 31, 2025 and has been updated on April 2, 2025.
Asia Media Centre